Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Journal Day #7



Here's this week's prompt- 
Do you use social media in your daily life? Do you think it adds to your relationships with others, or takes away from them? And furthermore, do you think social media adds more positive or negative to your life? Write about your relationship with social media, and talk a bit about how you got started, and what role it plays in your world. via - Sometimes Sweet



I remember when I joined Facebook back in 2008. A friend of mine had mentioned it and after checking it out I figured what the heck and started an account. Back then it was nothing but a white page that showed who your friends were and your feed was simply the few friends that never really posted anything. It seemed boring so I very rarely went on it. And I didn't really need to since I already followed all my friends on MySpace. As time (a few months) went on, more and more friends joined and I was going on it more and more. Soon I left MySpace behind and solely used FB to keep up with friends (which I saw everyday so it was kinda pointless, haha). Soon thereafter I also joined Twitter and followed everyone I could think of. I also jumped on the Instagram wagon as soon as it was available for Android.

Over the years I have come to appreciate certain aspects of using social media. I see FB and Instagram as a time capsule of photos and memories. I can look back in my profiles and see things I had all but forgot about. Its kinda of amazing. As for Twitter, I occasionally use it but not very often. I have since seriously downsized the people I follow. And while I rarely check my Twitter feed, I check FB and Instagram a few times a day. I chuckle at memes that friends post.  I get to see my best friends daughter learning to cook with her grandma. I can share home improvement projects or a great thrift find. But I also get worked into a tizy by reading comments on a controversial topic (I should know better by now to just stay away). Or upset seeing that someone in Illinois has taped razor blades to various kid's equipment at a park and saw a photo of a 3 year old's bloody hand. 

I use social media in a purely journalistic way, much like this blog, to catalog my life. And I hope to continue doing so for years to come.  be able to look back and remember all the little things about my life that I had somehow forgot. For me, the positive out weigh the negative by a long shot.

-Marsha





No comments:

Post a Comment