Monday, March 24, 2014

SPRING...and all the work it brings

Its almost here! Spring is one of my favorite times of year (next to fall). And with comes the task of yard work. There are some leaves left over from last year that are screaming to be raked but there are also other big projects on the horizon for our front and back yards.

First things first, our house doesn't have a front walk way. You step off our landing to a see of grass. In the winter guests have to go through our (super messy) garage because we can't shovel the grass. And that means there is also no walk way from our front door to our driveway. Here are a few paver walkways ideas that I just love.


1 / 2 / 3 / 4

While I really like the pattern in pic #1 I don't really like the color.  I am a big fan of the greyish-blue tons mixed with some neutral tones. And the other 3 are spot on in the color department.  I also like the organized chaos of the other ones.  There's no definite pattern but it still looks put together and like thought went into the placement of each piece.


We have a really big back yard and a ton of trees. That means there is a lot of shade. Which is great for entertaining but not so great for certain plants. This year we are hoping to plant a collection of shade plants to brighten up some neglected parts of our yard.



1 / 2 / 3 / 4

I love the mixes of shrubbery and flower plants.  The hard part will be narrowing it down to ones that fit the space and go together. I am fully looking forward to many trips to Steins!



Another project we want to tackle is building a fire pit.  We have already picked out the perfect spot in the yard. While I'm sure the mister will draw up something I found a few that I quite like.



1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Its no clue that I love square things so naturally I am drawn to the first one. And that slate tile is to die for. The ones with "built-in" seating are always nice but there is also something about the super simple ones that catch my eye. I'll have to see what the mister comes up with...


One of the other things we have talked about is possibly adding another tree to our yard, a Japanese maple.  Whenever we see them we always say how much we like them.  The shape and size are great and they come in a few different colors.


1 / 2 / 3 / 4

This year we are also transplanting the willow we started growing last year and continuing our attempt to keep our grass green and out other plants alive. We planted quite a few last year and I can't wait to see how they do this season.  I'm ready for you Spring!

-Marsha

No comments:

Post a Comment