Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Journal Day #3



Here's this week's prompt via Sometimes Sweet

They say hindsight is 20/20, and with good reason- looking back at something always gives us a better view. We're often able to really see how our choices and decisions then shaped our today, and examine what we would have done differently given the chance. When looking back though, we often look way back, but for this exercise stay a little closer to present time and look back just 12 months. If you could go back just one year, what would you tell yourself? What advice would you offer about everything you've experienced?




I have never been happy with my weight and have repeatedly started and stopped healthy eating and exercising daily.  When I start out I am super motivated and tell myself that this time is going to be different.  This time I won't quit and stay in the same place I've always been.  But it doesn't matter.  Every time is the same.  I stay on track for a few weeks and then slowly recede back to old habits.  During the time when I am eating better and working out, I am losing weight and feel a million times better about myself.  But for some reason this isn't enough to keep me focused and on track.  It is super frustrating.  Especially since when I am at work, I am super focused and driven.  No task is too big that I can't tackle and in record time.  Why can't I translate this work ethic to my personal life?

When at work I am usually in the mindset that if I don't do it, it will not get done.  In trying to apply this attitude to my motivation issue recently, I stumbled upon a quote that sums up everything I need to remind myself when falling off the weight wagon.  You only get back what you put in.  Simple right?  Nothing will change if I don't put forth the effort.  Subconsciously I obviously know this.  But just saying this phrase to myself puts me in my work mindset.  It gets me to work out during my lunches at work.  Its still trying to get me out of bed early each morning but I have no doubt that soon it will.  If only I had found this earlier, maybe I would not have quit one of my earlier attempts to be healthier.  A year is a long time to waste and I don't plan on wasting another.


-Marsha  

No comments:

Post a Comment