Thursday, March 20, 2014

Journal Day #5



We all encounter challenges on a daily basis. You may consider yours something small, like having enough time in the day to accomplish everything you set out to do, or it may be a bit bigger- perhaps something you have to overcome mentally or emotionally, or even a struggle when dealing with a difficult person. Whatever the case, take a look at your daily life- what would you say is your biggest challenge? Or if you have a past struggle you were able to overcome, how did you do it? This week, write about a challenge you currently deal with on a day to day basis, or discuss one you managed to get past. -via Sometimes Sweet


I would have to say just remaining sane while dealing with people everyday. Haha. I have worked in some sort of customer service for over 14 years. When I was younger it was retail based and now its in the medical field. In that time I have come in contact with all sorts of personalities and people from all walks of life. And there are certain types that are constantly difficult to deal with.

In retail, there was the chronically messy (destroying a table of folded clothing while you are standing right there folding it), the ones that don't know what day it is (person arguing about why a coupon is no longer valid because it expired 2 weeks ago or why we can't honor a sale price from a previous ad) and, my personal favorite, the "why don't you have any more?" customer.  While I won't bore you with my thoughts on each of these customers (because believe me I have them!), I still had to find a way to deal with each one. And that is patience. It may not be the cure all for every situation but it sure does help with many. It has taken me years to deal with certain types of people. I can assure you I have never ever yelled a customer. I may have ranted about them after they left but that's to be expected.

The patience muscle I so diligently toned in my years of retail has come in handy in the medical setting. When I have to repeat a medication or a question to someone 3 or 4 times, its ok.  When someone is rude to me about not being able to get a routine appointment RIGHT AWAY, I can handle it. And even when you yell at me because I won't release medical records without a signed release per HIPPA policies (even though its for your protection), I can take it. Some days are harder than others. I have been called names, been yelled at, even had things thrown at me (like a urine sample, blech).  In spite of all that, I have only considered throwing in the towel a few times.  But you know what they say, take it one day at a time.


-Marsha

No comments:

Post a Comment